Install ubuntu touch & Android on oneplus6. Mainly targeting ubuntu touch for daily use(not really dual-boot)
Issues: fix for dead boot/reboot from ubuntu touch (see bottom).
- simple install of silo-boot (see bottom) with android 9.
- Ubports_installer check 2 'wipes' and connect phone later.
- Oneplus 6T from T-mobile (!risk: system update → update local → to android 9) Date: 10/27/2021
All you data could be wiped!! Backup your data!!
In Android of Oneplus 6: Unlock bootloader
- Settings->About phone --> Build number to Enable Developer Options --> Enable OEM unlocking --> Enable Advanced Reboot (optional) , so you can boot into Fastboot Model (i.e. bootloader)
Laptop: install ubports_installer and adb tools.
Ex: Ubuntu laptop with Snap
sudo apt install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
sudo adb start-server
adb devices# list devices
adb shell# open a shell on android device
sudo snap install ubports-installer# may install lastest versions
snap info ubports-installer# show channels
sudo snap refresh ubports-installer --channel=0.8.9/stable# check info.
potentialdualboot (Ubuntu + Android), based on Outdated documentation
- Laptop: download files based on step 1 in Outdated documentation
- Phone: If not on 'fastboot', power off and press power button + volume up → fastboot
- if fastboot shows it is unlocked, then unlock by
fastboot oem unlock. Select unlock.
- Now boot into TWRP recovery with the command
fastboot boot twrp-3.4.0-3-enchilada.img, once on on the main screen, you should see your phone in
adb deviceson your PC.
- Move OxygenOS 9 zip file to your device with
adb push OnePlus6Oxygen_22_OTA_034_all_1909112343_dd26.zip /sdcard
- In TWRP go to install and choose OnePlus6Oxygen_22_OTA_034_all_1909112343_dd26.zip. Swipe to confirm flash and wait, it will take a few minutes. Note that this will install it to your other slot, it won't affect whatever Android system you're currently running.
- Choose system from TWRP reboot menu, don't install the TWRP app!
- Once it's done, go to the reboot menu and pick
bootloader, then hit
reboot. You should be in the bootloader - on a black screen with START in green letters like before, however you're now on the other slot (the one you just installed Android 9 to).
Phone: Make sure it is in bootloader screen
Laptop: open software: Ubports_installer (current 0.8.9 stable).
- When installer starts, do not connect the phone to pc. Instead, manually select the device (oneplus 6). (if you connect the phone, installer may complain the phone is not supported)
- Connect the Oneplus 6 when installer shows 'install' (see ubports-installer video tutorial). Notice, when the prompts asks whether to wipe personal data and others. Do Check all of the 2 options Otherwise, you will get error on permission (if get error, click error page link and search to find solutions)>
- If good: you should get no error; Otherwise, search error message or refer to below trouble fix.
Cause: possible issue is related to race condition. Fix: (acknowledge from the forum) one-time installation of a file;
laptop: download file: lxc-android-config.override
Phone: boot to
fastboot(i.e. by pressing power button +volume up) and then connect to laptop, then select to
recovery mode(i.e. by pushing volume down key), wait until ubuntu recovery screen appearss
Laptop: make sure you can do
adb devicesto see the phone, then run
adb push lxc-android-config.override /system_root/etc/initand make sure no error comes out.
Phone: from the screen, select
reboot. Phone should then reboot to Ubuntu touch. If phone is powered off but not on later, just manually power it on and wait < 20 seconds to see ubuntu welcome screen.
Switch back to Android? this may or may not break some ubuntu touch setup
- Power off the device, hold volume up and power to enter bootloader mode.
fastboot getvar current-slot, this will tell you which slot ubuntu touch is installed to.
- Switch slots, if your current slot is a then run
fastboot --set-active=b, if it's b use
Reboot does not reboot?
- This is normal even after you finish step 3. When phone is off, just manually power it on.
- Still dead in boot?
- Try above step: switch back to Android, then select
wipe/erase all the data,
- Then reboot to
fastboot, and follow steps 1&2 to re-flash android 9 & install ubuntu touch
New simple installation? no dual boot (ref.)
- For op 6 of global version (not from T-mobile), just copy android 9 rom to op6 and then do 'system update' using
- Then reboot into android 9, enable developer option, enable usb debugging, enable oem unlocking, enable advanced reboot option (to boot into
Appendix: what about==oneplus 6T==
- follow the same tutorial but with different version in overall with modification:
- Notice, if it is by T-mobile, one needs first to get unlock code. See here
- Then, after you can do
fastboot oem unlock, you follow similar steps like oneplus 6
- If get error from the ubports installer, make sure you check the 2 wipes (i.e. wipe personal data and the below one).
- T mobile version, do NOT directly downgrade to andorid 9 using rom. You may get incompatible error (phone is bricked).